The University of Otago, based in 1869 by associate ordinance of the Otago Provincial Council, is New Zealand’s oldest university. The new University was given a hundred,000 acres of pastoral land as associate endowment and authorised to grant degrees in Arts, Medicine, Law and Music.
The University opened in July 1871 with a employees of simply 3 Professors, one to show Classics and West Germanic and Literature, another having responsibility for arithmetic and physical science, and therefore the third to hide Mental and philosophy and economics. the subsequent year a academic of science joined the employees. With an additional endowment provided in 1872, the programme was widened and new lectureships established: lectures in Law started in 1873, and in 1875 courses began in medication. Lectures in Mining got from 1872, and in 1878 a college of Mines was established.
The University was originally housed in an exceedingly building (later the Stock Exchange) on web site|the location|the positioning} of theologian House in Princes Street however it rapt to its gift site with the completion of the northern elements of the Clocktower and earth science buildings in 1878 and 1879.
The college of medical specialty was based in 1907 and therefore the School of Home Science (later shopper and subjects) in 1911. Teaching in line and Commerce subjects began in 1912. varied new chairs and lectureships were established within the years between the 2 world wars, and in 1946 teaching began within the college of Theology. the varsity of education was opened in 1947.
A federal University of latest Zealand was established by statute in 1870 and have become the examining and degree-granting body for all New Zealand university establishments till 1961. The University of Otago had given only 1 Bachelor of Arts degree, on adult male Alexander Watt Williamson, once in 1874 it became associate related to school of the University of latest Zealand.
In 1961 the University of latest Zealand was disestablished, and therefore the power to confer degrees was fixed up to the University of Otago by the University of Otago change Act 1961.
Since 1961, once its roll was concerning three,000, the University has dilated significantly (in 2010 there have been concerning twenty one,000 students enrolled) and has broadened its vary of qualifications to incorporate college man programmes in mensuration, Pharmacy, Medical Laboratory Science, Education, therapy, Applied Science, Dental Technology, Medical radiation, Dental Hygiene associated Dental medical aid (now combined in an Oral Health programme), and medicine Sciences, further as specialised postgraduate programmes in an exceedingly kind of disciplines.
Although the University’s main field is in Dunedin, it conjointly has Health Sciences campuses in metropolis (University of Otago, Christchurch) and Wellington (University of Otago, Wellington) (established in 1972 and 1977 respectively), associated an data and teaching centre in central port (1996).
The Dunedin school of Education integrated with the University on one Gregorian calendar month 2007, and this accessorial an additional field in Invercargill.
The supreme establishment of the University is that the Council, presided over by the Chancellor. once it had been initial established its members control workplace forever. Its constitution was more and more amended in 1891, 1911 and 1946 to supply for the illustration of sure native bodies and academic teams, the graduates, the scholar body and non-professorial employees. the current structure of the Council was arranged down within the Education change Act 1990.
The Council is suggested on tutorial matters by the Senate, the membership of that is drawn principally from the Heads of educational Departments, however with representatives of different teaching employees and students. The Vice-Chancellor, UN agency was selected as Chief govt of the University by the Education change Act 1990, convenes the Senate, which, in turn, is suggested by the Divisional Boards and different Committees and Boards on matters that fall at intervals their explicit terms of reference.
In 1989 the interior governance of the University was reformed by grouping the prevailing departments, faculties, and colleges into four tutorial Divisions (Commerce, Health Sciences, Humanities, and Sciences). every tutorial Division is headed by a Pro-Vice-Chancellor. more changes to the manager cluster resulted within the appointment of 2 Deputy Vice-Chancellors in 1994 and of a Chief operational Officer in 2005.
A Pro-Vice-Chancellor (International) was appointed in 2006. There also are 9 non-teaching Divisions: tutorial, Research, Human Resources, Accommodation Services, money Services, data Technology Services, promoting and Communications, Property Services, and Student Services.